Wellness Care For Dogs & Cats in Oak Park IL
Carlson Animal Hospital is committed to providing you with the information and services to ensure your pet’s lifelong health. We will help you develop an ongoing plan of preventive care and teach you how to best care for your pet at home.
Our general veterinary and wellness care services provide a great platform for your cat or dog’s every day and ongoing health:
- Pet wellness care—We develop a wellness plan for your pet that is lifestyle and age specific, including special attention for our senior pets. During your pet’s routine wellness examination, we will develop immunization protocols and schedules catered to your pet, address dental health and nutrition, and discuss preventive health programs and any newly recognized risks to your pet
- Behavioral counseling—If you have any behavior-related questions or concerns, our veterinarians will formulate a plan to diagnose, manage, and potentially correct undesirable behavior.
- Boarding and grooming—Newly renovated kennels provide clean, comfortable boarding to our clients. Everyone on staff, including the veterinary staff, participates in caring for our boarders. Basic grooming is also available. Our attentive and affectionate staff will care for your pets as if they were their own!
- Dental care—We will carefully inspect your pet’s teeth at every exam and make recommendations to help optimize his or her oral health.
- Pharmacy—Many of the medications your pet may need are readily available in our pharmacy (including antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, medicated shampoos, dental care products, veterinary prescription diets, heartworm preventives, tick/flea preventives, and more).
- Surgery—We offer state-of-the-art anesthesia monitoring and care for all of our surgical patients. Your pet’s safety and comfort are our utmost concern.
- Advanced illness care—Illness in a beloved family member can be stressful. Our veterinarians will diagnose and treat complicated veterinary medical problems with care and compassion.
Carlson Animal Hospital provides veterinary services for every stage in your pet’s life, from first immunizations to a lifetime of preventive care to keep your companion happy and healthy.
Wellness Exams: What to Expect
At wellness appointments, we’ll discuss your pet’s health and take a proactive preventive approach. We will carefully take a medical history and perform a thorough physical examination. We’ll check for any problems such as dental disease, areas of chronic inflammation, any unexplained weight loss or weight gain, increased water consumption or increased urination, gastrointestinal problems, coughing, difficulties breathing, exercise intolerance, or any new lumps or bumps, for example. We will administer immunizations that will help protect your pet against dangerous infectious diseases. We’ll teach you how to be an observant pet owner, coaching you how to recognize early signs of disorders. This is important, since early detection typically results in more effective and less expensive outcomes. Advanced dental disease may impact the overall health of your pet. We will teach you how to brush your pet’s teeth and help you develop a preventive dental plan.
At each exam, we will collect a detailed health history and determine your pet’s body condition score (BCS). We use this score to measure pet obesity or excessive weight loss. The current research is showing that fat cells are dynamic endocrine cells. These cells produce substances that contribute to a chronic low-grade inflammatory state, resistance to the effects of insulin resulting in type II diabetes mellitus, heart disease, decreased immune function, certain cancers, heat intolerance, and some orthopedic diseases. Our goal is to educate you regarding the adverse effects of pet obesity and to help you develop a plan for gradual weight loss and improvement in your pet’s overall health.
Get Your New Puppy or Kitten Off to a Great Start
Bring your youngster in to see us soon after he or she comes home with you. It is common for puppies and kittens to arrive with some unwanted guests such as fleas, ear mites, and even intestinal parasites. We want to clear those up right away and get you off to a great start with your new buddy. We recommend a complete physical examination, which will include a stool sample to assess for the common parasites and appropriate immunization. As your puppy or kitten grows, we’ll tailor a program of adult wellness and eventually develop a senior pet care plan to ensure your pet’s vitality and longevity.
If you are seeking a skilled, caring veterinarian and support staff to ensure the wellness of your pet, please call us at (708) 383-3606.
The entire staff is very friendly and caring. I can tell by how Muffin reacts as to how friendly a staff member is. When I first started bringing her to Carlson Animal Hospital, she was very frightened, now it’s like she is with all her friends. Keep up the good work.
– Ronnaleigh Schmidt